Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Redemption Wedding Present

Here's another wedding commission I made during the year that I never posted. A gentleman by the name of Lorcan commissioned me to make an interesting diorama for his soon to be married brother Hugh and his fiancee Helen. Lorcan wasn't exactly sure what he wanted he wanted me to make and bravely left it up to me. Usually when I take any personalised commissions I always try find that little thing that I may have in common with my muse for that day. Lorcan told me that Hugh's favourite film was The Shawshank Redemption. That was all I needed. 
Give me any excuse to make Morgan Freeman or have his voice rolling around in my head all day. Some lad. 
The piece was a simple woodcut illustrated diorama. You have Red in his cell keeping sketch for those who wanna crash the party. I changed the infamous Bridget Bardot poster to make it look like Helen. The woman who kept him going all those years.  When you lift the poster it reveals the escape route slowly scraped away over a few years or in my case drilled and cut over the length of a cuppa tea. 
Hugh taking the role of Andy Dufresne can be seen making a break for it with the ring in hand. He sits on a little shelf at the back of the diorama, which he can be taken off and placed wherever you like. I made him in a way that he rolls around as he's so damn excited. Look at that happy head.

"Andy Dufresne who crawled through a river of shit to come out clean on the other side. Andy Dufresne heading for the Pacific".

Sorry about the photos for my phone was all I had at the time I was making this. Sorry Boss, there all I gots.  





No comments: